Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Post

Hi guys! Welcome to my new Blog. 

I have promised myself that I will be very disciplined toward Blog. I will nurture it and pet it and keep it updated with all my news, thoughts, inspirations and ideas; as well as the odd things that amble into my life from time to time and the chaotic troublesome bits too. 

I have been feeling a bit left behind with the social media - I don't want to use the word Phenomenon as I think it was that back in 2003 - maybe, surge? My mum is on facebook now and pretty much everyone is internet shopping or tweeting so I figured I need to make this work to my advantage. Get my artistic thoughts and processes out to the people (or at least, to those who feign an interest). I am sure it will only be a few people at the start (hi Mum!.....) but I hope that the light hearted content combined with thoughts on my artistic process and the odd useful tip about painting will reach a wider audience and encourage those who believe they have only a creative freckle, to pick up a brush, camera, other artistic tool - far too many to list here - and have a go at creating something.

So that, along with the cabin fever I am getting being trapped in a tiny village with sporadic use of a car, is why I am blogging. 

The dust has finally settled on our move back from Switzerland, the studio is up and running and the reality of living back in the UK is raining down outside as I type this. But, as I am now a UK contemporary artist, I fully plan to embrace this new environment and reflect it in some new projects. A Welsh project, A Scottish project, some projects in the Lake District, some in the South Downs. I actually prefer the dark, moody and rainy skies. Its a much more accurate depiction of our little island. I am happy to leave the dramatic storms and bright sunny skies for my travels - there will be travel projects too. The current project is India, using photos and experiences of our trip last September. And of course, I will not be turning my back on the Mountain Landscapes of the Alps that got me here in the first place. So much to be getting on with really, I just wish I had more time in the day.

So now for a swift lunch before today's experiment with some Indian woodblocks I picked up on our visit last year. I have an idea in my head what I want the pictures to look like however, I am pretty certain it will not be as straight forward as it should be. I will let you know later how I got on with the attempt to capture the "vibrancy of colour and the detail of pattern on Indian fabrics" on a canvas. But I think the properties of the oil paint will dictate how this ends up. Its Playtime.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good game plan, Steph. Very excited to both hear more about the process and see the wood-block work in progress. (You know how I love those progress photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the UK, if I may be so presumptious. You have quite some tour planned there... give me a wave if you make it to the Hampshire bit of the South Downs.

    ReplyDelete